Skip to main content

Recoveries will dictate transfer plans, says Koeman

Ronald Koeman

Ronald Koeman in his final press conference of 2015

Image by: Matt Watson/Southampton FC

PUBLISHED

13:00 31st December 2015

by Jim Lucas

Ronald Koeman says he’ll only move for a new striker if injured duo Graziano Pellè and Jay Rodriguez do not recover quickly.

Pellè has been missing since Christmas with a knee injury and remains sidelined for this weekend’s trip to Norwich City, but is expected to return in the near future.

Rodriguez, meanwhile, underwent surgery on a foot problem last month and is due back in training in late January.

With the winter transfer window due to open on Saturday, Koeman says he’s open to the prospect of bringing in a new forward – but only if Pellè and Rodriguez fail to return as soon as he hopes.

When asked whether he’s about to dip into the transfer market, the Saints boss told youtube.com/southamptonfc: “At the moment, no. 

“Like I mentioned before: if we need to sign a player, it needs to be a striker. 

“But that also depends on the situation of Jay and what will happen with Graziano. It's too early to make conclusions about that. 

“We still have to wait to see how they recover and how long it takes, and then we'll make a decision about what we have to do.”

Become an Official Member today

    Related Articles